1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 large cans black eyed peas
2 cups cooked rice
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small can collard greens, drained
3 cups shredded cheese, divided (your choice, but I like a cheddar/jack blend).
6 slices bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon slices until well done. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from skillet. Add diced bell pepper and diced onion to pan. Cook for about five or ten minutes, until just starting to brown.
2. Add ground beef or ground turkey, salt and pepper and chopped garlic; cook until browned.
3. Combine meat mixture, tomatoes, collard greens, one cup of cheese and cooked rice and place in a 9″x13″ casserole pan.
4. sprinkle remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese over mixture and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from on
5. Serve with cornbread and enjoy!