This classic recipe is sure to please the whole family! It can be made with hot or sweet Italian sausage, or a combination of both. Whichever you choose, It’s sure to be a hit at the next family gathering. This recipe takes a little longer to cook, but the result is worth the wait! Enjoy!
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 16oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 15oz cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15oz container ricotta cheese, or more, if you like
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and olive oil; cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
- Add olive oil to large pot over medium heat. Saute onion for about five minutes. Add the ground beef and sausage and cook through. Stir in the mushrooms, garlic salt, oregano, thyme, basil, and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper; simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ricotta cheese, eggs, and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Ladle enough of the meat sauce into a 9×13 inch baking dish to cover the bottom in a thin layer. Form a layer atop the sauce with 3 of the lasagna noodles. Spread about 1/4 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over the ricotta cheese mixture and then ladle about 1/3 of the meat sauce over the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering twice more, topping with the remaining 1/4 pound of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 90 minutes. Allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving.